WAIALUA ESTATE SINGLE ORIGIN CHOCOLATE
Grown in Volcanic Soil Premium 100% Hawaiian Chocolate
Rare, World-Class Award-Winning Chocolate made from pure Hawaiian cacao grown exclusively on the North Shore of Oahu, Hawaii.
NORTH SHORE TROPICAL PLANTATION
Waialua Estate is excited to introduce you to our full retail line of world class Hawaiian Chocolates. Each bar is newly designed in, richly colored, wrappers and elegant gold trim evoking the premium quality and exclusive nature of these rare chocolates.
PREMIUM HAWAIIAN CHOCOLATE
Waialua Estate chocolate is available in Light Milk, 55% Semi Sweet, and 70% Extra Dark Cacao varieties sure to satisfy any chocolate lover.
EXTRA DARK 70% CACAO
This dark chocolate bar in the smooth brown wrapper with a dark green palm frond is our original flagship chocolate, noted for its bright fruit notes, rich deep cocoa flavors, and velvety textures.
SEMI SWEET 55% CACAO NIB
Our brand new Semi Sweet 55% Cacao Nib Bar in the deep purple wrapper with its roasted nib flavors, satisfying crunchy texture and hint of fruitiness, is sure to become a new favorite.
For Milk Chocolate lovers, our 38% cacao bar in the subtle, smoky red wrapper is a gold medal winner noted for its warm caramel tones and delicious creamy texture sure to satisfy and delight.
Waialua Estate’s Hawaiian cacao, grown along the banks of the Kaukonahua stream, the North Shore’s rich, fertile, sweet soil, provides an exceptional “terroir” to the chocolate which exhibits dark cherry, berry and raisin flavors. Waialua Estate Extra Dark Chocolate 70% Cacao yields deep cocoa flavors and hints of berry overtones with a rich, velvety smooth texture.
Waialua Estate’s cacao trees are a special blend of Criollo, Trinatario and Forestero varieties sourced from some of the finest cacao estates in the world. Waialua Estate Chocolate is made in collaboration with Guittard Chocolate Company of San Francisco. The partnership with Guittard brings expertise and advice in the fermentation and drying of cocoa beans, key elements to flavor enhancement.
With 135 years of experience in artisan French style chocolate production using family recipes passed from generation to generation, Guittard offers assistance in product development that helps to elicit the subtle flavors, aromas and textures that distinguish Waialua Estate Chocolate.
Under the Kokoleka brand, Guittard also produces Milk Chocolate and Semi-Sweet 55% Cacao Chocolate made from Waialua grown cacao.
- 1. In the past, the growing of cacao had been limited to a belt of 20 degrees north or south of the equator. But at 21-22 degrees latitude, Waialua Estate on the North Shore of Oahu is now breaking that rule and cacao is becoming an important crop for Dole Food Co. Hawaii
- 2. Chocolate contains over 600 flavor compounds, which give off its distinct aroma, according to the American Chemical Society. In comparison, red wine is reported to only have around 200 flavor compounds.
- 3. Nothing heals the soul like chocolate – subjective fact.
- 4. Kokoleka is the Hawaiian word for chocolate.
- 5. >Our 20-acre Waialua cacao orchard was planted in 1996.
- 6. Fermentation of the cocoa bean – which includes the use of the fruit or pulp – is a less understood but critical a step in the process.
- 7. From the cacao pod, the raw cocoa beans represent about 25% of the fruit. After fermenting and drying the bean, you’re left with roughly 35% of that. Then the dried beans are, roasting, which reduces the moisture and therefore more weight. And another 20+ percent is lost in winnowing or removal of the shell. All that and we didn’t even start making chocolate yet!
- 8. New research indicates that chocolate may enhance cognitive brain function.
- 9. Waialua Chocolate is known for its dark tones of cherries, blackberries and raisin overtones.